Oct 30, 2007

Bump, Set, Spike

My trip summary from the Long Trail this past weekend is coming... for a brief preview "... wet ..."

Anyway... my volleyball league started last night. We rotate the teams we play, ultimately playing all five of the other teams twice I believe. A match is 3 games, and your total wins are tracked for the playoffs. I've played a bit there before in the pickup games that happen after the league games are over, but this is the first time I've been official.

It should be a fun couple of months, my brother, uncle, 2 cousins, and a good family friend are all playing. We are mostly split up, I happen to be on a team without any family. For the first week we were playing my brother and Greg, the family friend. There was a bit of pre-match trash talking and I certainly wasn't shy ;). After a quick meeting with my teammates, we set our rotation up and got warmed up for the games. Things are actually very well organized as there's a pretty good scheme for positioning and rotation to ensure everyone knows where they are supposed to be, and to set up the big hitters for the spikes. We have a pretty solid team, with a good mix of setters and hitters.

I played okay, without making a lot of mistakes although I did muff one serve. I didn't have any real good kills in the game as I played a bit conservative to start, but did a good job of digging out a couple spikes. We ended up winning all three games, mostly because the other team didn't seem as organized as we were. It was a combination of some good talent along with a good sense of team play and consistency.

I also hung around afterward and played pickup with a bunch of folks, including all of my family. This was a lot of fun, and I worked on being more aggressive with both my serve and net play. Overall, a very fun evening, although it was pretty tough to get up early the next morning!

0 comments:

Admin Control Panel

New Post | Settings | Change Layout | Edit HTML | Moderate Comments | Sign Out

About This Blog


Visitor Map!

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP